Monday 1 November 2010

Holding firm when everything else changes

Here I was playing a game of chess, both sides were steadily building; my opponent was building to attack my King. I was building to gain control of the centre of the board. In one move the opponent with his Queen had me thinking if my game plan was sound; keeping in mind it was a 5 minute match. After taking a few seconds to quickly evaluate the strength of my opponent's move and re-evaluating my position I realized that all was not lost and in fact my opponent had basically handed me the game. I regained my confidence, stood my ground and continued with my original game plan, eventually winning.
In life one will come upon surprise attacks unforeseen enemies and trials, this is not the time to 'jump ship' or retreat. Often times we are in the position to succeed, to conquer, to overpower. Thomas Edison said it best, "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

Everyday I have a new Heaven to be a part of
New glory to bask in and new hells to conquer
A new choice to be a foe or lover
To grow or to wither

No comments:

Post a Comment